Start: N 58°37.868' E 016°48.080'. Parking 500 m south at the harbour.
Shelter: Kärrgruvan - N 58°38.850' E 016°51.469'
Water: Spring at Kärrgruvan - N 58°38.923' E 016°51.412'
Tunaberg is a particularly interesting area, where Sörmlandsleden in collaboration with the Mining Historians and Local History Movement seeks to bring to life how mining developed over the past 1000 years. We know that many foundries were active already in the 12th century but this is not well documented. It is only from when Vadstena Monastery became the owner of the mines that there is adequate written documentation. The many references to old cabins in these documents but more so the visible evidence in the form of worked mines, cabin remains as well as other remnants from activity in the pre-industrial era give valuable insight into the development. The various sites along the route are described in detail on information boards.
Of particular interest are the complex dam systems, which made it possible with the use of water wheels, threaded bars and other devices to run the various sites fairly continuously. Copper and iron foundries, mills, sawmills, forges and more were driven by water power. In Nävån alone there have been around 15 dams and 25 water wheels for different activities from Nävsjön to where the river runs out into Bråviken (around 5 km). From the Yellow Mill (Gula Kvarn) storehouse the trail goes close to Masugnsdammen (Blast furnace dam), past Svalbergsgården farm and distillery and up to Hyttdammen. On the way there the bridge foundations for the original road in to the setttlement are visible. Here there are also traces of mills, threshing mills and a coppar smelting works from the 1760s Övre Bruket was also here, founded in 1623 as the first site for Näfveqvarns Works.
The trail goes along the stream to an area where copper foundries, sawmills and forges were located in close proximity to each other. Here are also the remains of what is believed to be the oldest medieval foundry in Nävån valley, Salveltorp. The path continues past Alstorps dam and Hjonjärnet – an object surrounded by legend.E37 1 2 Karrgruvan
At this point the trail diverges from the course of Nävån stream towards Kungstorpsberget - a steep and strenuous ascent but with views over Bråviken. Take care with children here. The trail passes Gamla Hytto which is believed to be one of the oldest copper foundries and past Kuskstjälpargruvan och Mormorsgruvan mines where there are suitable parking areas. Close by there is a milestone which was cast in the Nävekvarn smelting works in the 1790s and a stone marker which indicated who was responsible for maintenance of the road.
Soon Lilldammen is passed at Nyhyttan. Via a forest track Stordammen is reached. The water from here was channelled to Tomtadammen, where it drove a flat rod water wheel system which supplied the Koppartorp mine with power. Shortly after Kärrgruvorna is reached. First the ruins of a worker’s house with outhouse and barn, surrounded by hundreds of lilacs and old fruit trees.as well as a number of underground storehouses and a freshwater spring are passed. After that the the mine area broadens out with over 40 pits over an area of 600 x 300 metres.